introduction

i am british, married an australian... we met in the states & are both designers.

we have two boys ~ oscar, 6 & flynn 4, lots of pets & live in an old house ~ this blog is the craziness that happens day to day! opinions, reviews, places to go, situations & everything else in between!

Saturday, November 21, 2009

[ weeeee-oooooo ]



sooooooo... i finally found the dvd cover of the library's fireman sam!! phew... this is costing me a dollar a day! so i take it back & also stop at the drive through bank to get some cash (got to say the bank drive through really is a brilliant american invention!) my money is given to me in an envelope & i drive away... i get that nagging feeling... you know the one, my parents installed this into me, when i buy a box of eggs, the need to check that none are broken in the store. i've tried not to do this ~ walk away from the fridge but i always break before i get to the cash desk. i don't lift each one up like my dad does...i just turn the box upside down to check they move & that the tops aren't cracked.

so i've driven away from the bank & not checked the cash in the envelope... i get it out & try to count it, but i can't concentrate with flynn telling me to put 'that' song on again & oscar wanting the window open. i pull over in the hard shoulder put on my hazards & count my dough (*english slang for money! ~ see below if you want more of an explanation)

all of a sudden i see in my mirror a police car... noooooooo ~ my knee caps are like jelly, it stops in front of me & as the officer is walking towards my car i look up & see a sign that might as well be glittery & flashing that says NO stopping or standing!

i tell the officer i'm so so sorry i had to stop, my son dropped something... he said that's fine i just wanted to check you were ok! wow!! thank you! thank god i'm in an 'automatic' vehicle not a manual 'stick shift' because i kind of went to pieces pulling off with my hazard's still on, i would have kangarooed up the road!!

flynn says mummy don't cry!! i said mummy's not crying this time!!

he said that because a couple of weeks ago i had to drive my mum to jfk airport to go back home :( my husband usually does this as it's so painful... but he was away on business. so the boys & i drove her there & we just did the 'kiss & fly' thing... that was bad enough ~ i was balling my eyes out, flynn & oscar trying to console me... (making it nicely kind of worse!) goodbyes are heart breaking.

any ways we were stuck in traffic for seemed like 2 weeks, oscar needs me to pull over so he can go pee... so i found a store we went into.

we are nearly home & i need to make a right... the traffic light is red & there are 5 cars in front of me... i NEVER do things like this but i was sooo upset & spurred on by mr ray's 'gimme a hi 5' song we'd been playing non stop... i pulled into the hard shoulder... i'd gone probably 2 lengths of cars when the blue & red lights are flashing... i pull over & the officer doesn't completely come up to my window, asks for my license... i try & tell him i'd just dropped my mum off at the airport & i'm crying, he walks off & then presents me with a ticket... THE THING I HATE THE MOST IS.... i said THANK YOU when he gave me it!! how very british of me!! 4 points & a fine!!

then... to add insult to injury i had an argument with oscar who said he's an amazing hero... !!! i taught him a word he really shouldn't know yet!!!




(*dough ~ mid-1800s slang for bread. bread from cockney rhyming slang, bread and honey = money. bread also has associations with money, 'earning a crust').

1 comment: