introduction

i am british, married an australian... we met in the states & are both designers.

we have two boys ~ oscar, 6 & flynn 4, lots of pets & live in an old house ~ this blog is the craziness that happens day to day! opinions, reviews, places to go, situations & everything else in between!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

[ RIP nikon ]

sooooooo... i take my boys for a picnic at one of my most favorite places in NJ, the howell living farm. it's a wonderful place & i urge anyone that hasn't been to go. for me personally it has great karma & i feel instantly mellow there.

ironic that it is there that this incident should occur!

after finishing our picnic, i ask my 4 year old, oscar, to guard mommy's camera, while i put stuff back in the car. oscar always responds really well to jobs that have an touch of responsibility to them. my nikon D80 was sitting on the picnic table along with my phone & a very important looking oscar was watching them.

as i return to the table the boys see i have towels & wellies for them to go wading in the stream & they get really excited. oscar climbs up on the table & tries to jump down... you know what's coming. as i replay the next seconds in my mind i'm not sure who reached the ground first, oscar or the camera, all i know is that it holted me in my tracks while my eyes were tried to focus on the grass. oscar was repeating sorry mom, while i bent down to pick up the 18-135 lens, which wasn't attached to the camera body anymore & was in 3 pieces... anyone who knows me will understand the tragedy of this & why i had tears in my eyes.

this camera was a splurge 2 years ago that i would never have got if my husband mike hadn't bought it for me & i love love loved it from the first click. it goes everywhere with me... it went everywhere with me...

BUT... what am i going to do... oscar felt bad, i know he didn't do it on purpose, i know he'd be more careful next time. i put the pieces back in the car & we continued to the stream. i was so upset that i kind of went numb & of course all these things were happening that i would normally be clicking away at... for the first time in my 10 years in the states i saw a snake, it swan right by us & i'm sure it winked! then further downstream big woolly sheep were doing crazy jumps in the water. my lovely friend sent me uplifting text messages, i really needed & wanted to talk about it, but i didn't want oscar to hear me, so texting was perfect.

like a bad break up i'd look at the clock & work out how long ago my camera was in perfect working order ~ CUCKOO!!

this camera took some wonderful photos, i really enjoyed it & will miss it terribly!








2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    I am sorry to hear about the camara. :( The pictures you took of my kids are finally hanging on the walls. And everyone who has visited us since the pictures are up give us complements about them. So I am always taking about you and how you can capture the best "moments" and show each of my kids personality with just one picture.

    I strongly feel that a replacement is a must. It is essential in your life like replacing a car or a broken washing machine. I am not sure I be able to recognize you when I see you without the camara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry about the camera, Anne. I know how important photography is for capturing memories. If you can afford to buy one again, I hope you will - you're a very talented photgrapher.

    ReplyDelete